Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Just after bedtime...

I sit here on the couch with my laptop pondering the fact that I just put my child to bed and the sun is still up. Granted, it is after 8 pm, but still, it is summer and I feel like I should let her stay up and play outside a bit.

My friends are often amazed at the bedtime routine we have for our now four year old. By 7 pm, we are upstairs brushing her teeth and giving her a bath. Afterwards, we, my husband and I, crawl into her new "big girl" bed with her and read several books. This is the time of night we all love the most. It is relaxing and enjoyable. Lights are out by 8 pm.

This is the routine we have had almost since her birth and it works. There are no arguments about getting ready for bed or going to sleep. We can alter the times on the weekends easily to accommodate a late night out and it still works. During the week, we can get her up in time for school with little effort and she well behaved and pretty much always in a great mood.

Still, even with all the pleasure it brings, I still feel that if I didn't work so much, I could have her stay up later to play on these beautiful summer days. Thank goodness for weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment