Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Bring your daughter to work day?

This afternoon, my co-workers and I visited our new office space, just purchased this week. After decades of renting, we would finally be owners and we were pretty excited. Champagne toasts all around as we celebrated while inecting our new space.

So now the interesting part. This morning, my husband dropped me off at work so he could take my car in to the shop for its annual state safety inspection (yes, he is wondeful but that is for a different blog!) When it was time to head to the new space in the late afternoon, I hitched a ride with a friend/co-worker to the new space, knowing that I would be pickex up by my husband and daughter at the day's end.

I took this opportunity to bring my daughter to work. Many of my co-workers have watched her grow up (she is four and I have been there for 11 years - many saw me get married!) And wanted to see her.

You see, I am not one for bringing my child into my office on a regular basis. I feel work is for work and only on my occassional day off, do I bring her in so as not to interrupt my work or that of my co-workers.

Back to my story... We arrived at the new space and after a thorough tour from the current occupants and a champagne toast, we settled in for some conversation about the space, the move and storage. Just 30 minutes in, my husband texted me that they had arrived so I went out to meet them and returned to the space. My daughter was shy, as most 4 year olds are in a room full of people - only half who know her well.

After some brief hellos, we made our way out the door, saying our good-byes and wishing all a good weekend. Fast, simple and what I thought was uninterrupting. Of course, I was so wrong...

We didn't even get out of the office space when we hear, "why would she bring her daughter in here?" We stopped out of eyeshot but not out of earsbot to have a listen. A few kind co-workers expressed their happiness in seeing her and their surprise at how big she has gotten. Yet one not so nice person expresses the ridiculousnees of bringing your daughter to work.

Wow, really?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment